Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Thing 5 - Tweet!

My Twitter name is fritzdoreen

1. I found it very hard to find people that I was looking for - so just ended up signing up for almost-anybody. How do you know their twitter name to be able to find them? How do you know if they even HAVE a Twitter account? There are gurus in the world of educational technology, and in school librarianship, that I might want to follow, but I spent quite a while looking for them - even went to some of their websites trying to find a reference to their Twitter identity, and gave up.

1.b - I am following the following people:
  • Creative Commons (find out more about using content responsibly?)
  • Mindy Null - Downers Grove South librarian (but no content in her twitter account yet)
  • Kathy Kreps - another west suburban H.S. librarian -- also just getting started in this Twitter stuff
  • Alicia Duell
  • Joyce Valenza - ed tech person
  • Chris Anderson - the TEd guy?
  • somebody called Delicious Over 50 - sounded like this person is "into" educational technology
  • Also 4Libraries - a school librarian - don't know much more about this person



2. The article about using Twitter in education sounded interesting, but some of the reasons people have liked Twitter (getting lots of ideas in a hurry) I would accomplish using my listserv.

3. Some of the objections to Twitter (hearing about what somebody barbecued for dinner) are similar to my objections to Facebook. I'm tired of hearing that somebody is tired -- or had a rough day -- or they're cooking this or that for dinner. The status updates (really about the only thing I use FB for) become very repetitive for some people -- like they don't know what else to say, but feel compelled to say SOMETHING.

4. No, I don't think I'll use this tool. I'm all set up, so I can check it now and then, but I see it mostly as a time-waster.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, now what do you REALLY think? ;) I have to admit, I haven't found Twitter to be something I ever look at, although I partly suspect that it's due to my lack of faith and loyalty. My friend Shannon swears by it and says that she really uses it a lot as a middle school Humanities teacher. Maybe if I checked it regularly, and tweeted regularly, maybe then I would find it useful. I'll be interested to see if anyone gets really into it.

    ReplyDelete