Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Thing 4: Google Docs / Calendar

We have already experimented with using Google Calendar in the library - for our shared calendars (trying to keep track of where everyone is supposed to be every day and every period is sometimes a challenge!). Unfortunately, we can't seem to get Noelle or Karen to the point where they can view the calendar, so Alicia and I have to update it and then print it out -- somewhat defeating the purpose.

The Tech Committee had toyed with the idea of using Gmail to replace our school's email - leading to shared documents and other "cloud computing" applications. BUT - - - this would lead to other restrictions, such as a diminished address book (dependent on users to maintain the link to the whole school, etc.), possible leakage to non-RB people for in-house announcements, etc.. We concluded that further study is warranted . . .

But Google Docs has definite possibilities in terms of shared editing of documents -- whether it be for tech planning, lesson planning, display ideas, committee activities, or whatever. I love the idea of not keeping track of which version I'm looking at, of not remembering what pile on my desk I put that thing I needed to do, etc. etc. It will be both fun and interesting to explore the use of this new tool in my professional life.

No comments:

Post a Comment